This morning, Merkle launched their quarterly Direct Marketing Report, forward of Google’s personal Q2 earnings announcement and it makes for a bumper stat-crammed studying.
Of specific word are the revelations that:
- Google search spending progress has slowed to 22% as CPCs fall N%
- Desktop PLA progress fee jumps whereas cellular progress is robust however slowing
- Shopping Ads visitors from Google picture search and Yahoo surges
- Google’s expanded textual content advertisements have had solely a modest impression
The report covers the newest tendencies in paid search, natural search, social media, show promoting, and comparability buying engines, so let’s cherry-decide a few of the highlights…
- Advertiser spending on Google paid search grew 22% Y/Y in Q2 2016, a slight deceleration from 25% progress in Q1.
- Click progress elevated barely to 34%, however CPCs fell N%.
- Spending progress for Google textual content advertisements slowed to 10% Y/Y as CPC progress for model key phrases fell from 10% in Q1 to zero% in Q2.
- Google Shopping Ad spending progress rose to forty three% as an inflow of companion visitors bolstered complete click on quantity.
- Combined spending on Bing Ads and Yahoo Gemini search advertisements fell 17% Y/Y as click on declines continued to worsen.
- Bing Product Ad spending fell for the primary time because the format’s launch, doubtless the results of Yahoo shifting to point out extra Google PLAs.
- Phones and tablets produced fifty three% of all paid search clicks in Q2, the identical fee as 1 / 4 earlier, however up 12 factors from a yr earlier. Google’s share of clicks from cellular elevated barely to only over fifty seven%
Organic Search & Social
- Organic search visits fell S% Y/Y in Q2, down from eleven% Y/Y progress a yr earlier, as natural listings face elevated competitors from paid search advertisements, notably on cellular.
- Mobile’s share of natural search visits rose to forty six%, however that also lags behind the fifty three% of paid search clicks that cellular produces, in addition to the forty seven% share that cellular produced for natural search a yr in the past.
- Google produced 86% of all natural search visits within the US and ninety% of cellular natural search visits.
- Google’s share of cellular natural search has elevated by almost two factors prior to now yr.
- Social media websites accounted for two.H% of website visits in Q2 2016, with Facebook producing sixty three% of all website visits pushed by social media.
Comparison Shopping Engines
- The eBay Commerce Network commanded a majority of advertisers’ comparability buying engine (CSE) spending for the primary time in Q2. Along with Connexity, the 2 dominant CSE platforms accounted for ninety seven% of all CSE advert spending.
- Advertiser income produced by eBay Commerce Network and Connexity listings grew by 33% and 23% Y/Y respectively; nevertheless, the 2 platforms mixed for lower than 10% of the income produced by Google Shopping Ads, amongst advertisers collaborating in all three platforms.
- Total show promoting spending grew sixty two% Y/Y, pushed by very robust outcomes from Facebook, the place Merkle advertisers elevated their funding by 121% Y/Y.
- Retargeting accounted for sixty two% of all show spending in Q2.
- The Google Display Network (GDN) additionally delivered spending progress, with advertisers seeing its share of complete Google advert spending improve to 12%.