The usual reporting in Google Analytics works properly for a lot of ecommerce websites. However there are alternatives to reinforce the default dimensions and metrics in Google Analytics, to empower on-line retailers much more.
On this article, I’ll evaluate 3 ways to customise Google Analytics studies, to assist retailers monitor key metrics and make essential selections. I’ll handle:
- Customized Dimensions,
- Customized Metrics,
- Calculated Metrics.
Customized Dimensions add a layer of data on the “Hit,” “Session,” “Consumer,” and “Product” degree. This knowledge may be captured within the Google Analytics monitoring code or by way of a knowledge import. Examples embrace:
- Figuring out if somebody is a repeat buyer.
- Figuring out if a service consultant positioned the order on behalf of a buyer, corresponding to by way of the telephone, chat, or e-mail.
- For replatforms and redesigns, mapping previous URLs to the brand new ones to watch visitors to these pages afterward.
- Product element enhancement — comparable to a class, subcategory, type, shade, measurement, or different info — when a product is seen, added to cart, or bought.
Establishing Customized Dimensions requires two configurations.
First, go to Admin > Property > Customized Definitions.
Then, go to Customized Dimensions > New Customized Dimension.
Then identify the Customized Dimension and choose the scope: Hit, Session, Consumer, or Product.
- For the Customized Dimension to be out there in consumer-degree reviews, choose the Consumer degree. An instance is setting a Customized Dimension to trace when somebody logs into her account or if she completes a purchase order.
- For the Customized Dimension to be obtainable in session reporting, assign it on the Session degree. An instance is setting a Customized Dimension when somebody views a product web page or if he provides to cart.
- For the Customized Dimension to be obtainable for a web page or different occasion that isn't tied to a session, assign it to the Hit degree. An instance is setting a Customized Dimension for the earlier URL of a web page earlier than a replatform. The screenshot under is a Hit degree Customized Dimension to map an previous URL to a brand new one.
- To append further details about merchandise bought in your website, use a Product Degree Customized Dimension. An instance is importing the product class or the price of items bought.
Second, ship the info to Google Analytics that accompany the Customized Dimension you created. Ship this knowledge by way of your monitoring code or by way of a knowledge add. For sending together with your monitoring code, comply with Google’s directions.
To add knowledge, a further step is required. Utilizing the instance of a Hit-degree Customized Dimension for a earlier URL, import the earlier URLs into Google Analytics to map them to the brand new URLs. To make the earlier URLs obtainable on the Hit degree, create a knowledge import, as follows.
- Go to Admin > Property > Knowledge Import.
- Then go to Create > Content material Knowledge > Proceed.
- Identify the Knowledge Set — for instance, “Previous URL” — and choose which Views to incorporate within the reporting.
- Choose “Web page” for the important thing.
- Then choose “Previous URL” — or no matter you named the Customized Dimension — for the “Imported Knowledge.”
- Then choose if you wish to overwrite hit knowledge — I sometimes select “No.” Then click on “Save.”
- Create a knowledge import file to map the previous and new URLs. You will get the schema — i.e., import file construction — by clicking on “Get schema” after finishing the Knowledge Import setup.
- Then click on “Obtain schema template” to get the template, to populate it.
- Fill out the template with the brand new URL within the first column and previous URL within the second. Then save to your pc.
- Lastly, add this file by going to Property > Knowledge Import > Handle uploads, which is subsequent to the Knowledge Set you created.
- Click on “Add File” and choose the file you created.
Ensure the file uploads efficiently after which await the info to start out populating. The info shouldn't be retroactive until you're utilizing Google Analytics 360. The imported knowledge will populate after you efficiently create the add.
Customized Dimensions, as soon as created, can be found in most stories the place the “Secondary Dimension” selector is obtainable or in customized reviews. For the “Previous URL” instance, go to Conduct > Website Content material > All Pages then select a Secondary Dimension of “Previous URL” (or no matter identify you gave the Customized Dimension).
Customized Metrics are just like Customized Dimensions. Create Customized Metrics by going to Admin > Property > Customized Definitions > Customized Metrics.
To report Customized Metrics, create a customized report. There isn't any option to report Customized Metrics in the usual reviews. Within the customized report periods, you will have an choice to pick the Customized Metrics.
There are restricted examples of utilizing Customized Metrics. One instance, nevertheless, is to import value of products bought knowledge into Google Analytics to report the gross revenue after, say, value of products bought and promoting. I addressed that matter final yr, at “Utilizing Google Analytics to Monitor Profitability by Product.”
To arrange Customized Metrics, comply with the steps above for establishing Customized Dimensions. The method is analogous for each.
Calculated Metrics are derived from present metrics in Google Analytics. I exploit them to customise sure Occasions, similar to telephone calls, video performs, and outbound clicks. Create a Calculated Metric for telephone calls — assuming your telephone name monitoring answer sends Occasion knowledge to Google Analytics — as follows.
- Go to Admin > View > Calculated Metrics.
- Identify the Calculated Metric — I’ll use “Complete Calls.” For the Formatting Sort, use “Integer” as a result of a name may be solely an entire quantity with out decimal locations. For the Formulation, enter “Complete Occasions.”
You'll be able to report “Complete Calls” as an alternative of “Complete Occasions.” “Complete Calls” is extra consumer-pleasant and extra descriptive.
Calculated Metrics might be extra refined, such because the “Product Revenue” Calculated Metric within the article I referenced above.
Reporting for Calculated Metrics, like Customized Metrics, seems solely in Customized Reviews. Go to Customization > Customized Studies > New Customized Report to create a customized report together with your new Calculated Metric.